Thread: Flight Simulator X Deluxe stops responding 10 minutes into flight

Default Flight Simulator X Deluxe stops responding 10 minutes into flight

Hello All,

Within the past few weeks my MS Flight Sim X Deluxe edition began locking up about 10 minutes into flight. My other games Crysis and Battlefield work just fine; other programs such as MS Office 2010 work just fine as well. I reinstalled the OS but MS Flight Sim still locks up or stops responding.

My guess is a hardware issue and I suspect memory, but I

Any details on where your FS is installed, any add-ons, etc.? There could be a million things it could be so try to narrow down the culprits.

I installed FS on the C drive which is the boot drive that has Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installed on it. It is 3 OCZ drives running in RAID 0. After the OS, the latest updates and Norton Security Suite was installed, I installed FS. It still seized up after 10 minutes. No hardware changes.

Hi Jimmy328

Sorry, a stupid question, is your copy of FSX legal. Not trying to get you into any hot water, but trying to find where you problem lies. Illegal versions are cracked and tend to do this, as you are experiencing. "Some" crackers have good code and one cannot tell anything from the original, but most write bad code, to kludge past the protection, and cause major instability.

If this is not the case, then do you have a separate hard drive spare. You can then just install your O/S with the latest drivers, and FSX on this drive, disconnecting all others. Don't install any malware protection, such as you mentioned Norton security. You will quickly see if it is your hardware or current installation/setup etc. causing the lock up. This seems to be coming from FSX, as you are running other high end games with no problems.

What you can also do is completely uninstall FSX and any and all entries lying under the user folders (your user name folder - appdata - local and roaming) Program files (x86) and Programdata folders. You might need to "unhide" these folder, using the folder settings. Thereafter use a good, and I mean a good registry cleaner, my recommendation, Macecraft's JV16 Powertools, the best AFAIAC, having used it for the last 10 years or more, to clean up your registry, and search for anything named FSX, and delete it. Why do I say a good registry cleaner, firstly you are running RAID 0, no redundancy, and a failure on this is catastrophic, no user recovery at all, and slim to none from a professional service. So if in doubt backup all of your user data, documents, music, pictures and emails etc. Secondly there is absolute crap out there in registry programs, that certainly do as they advertise, of doing a good job of cleaning your registry, by simply deleting the entire hive, so be warned "there be dragons within".

Then run a defrag of your system, reboot and re-install. Run every install completion of FSX, at least up to the selection menu, and set your required settings, before applying the next or a new patch or fix, to set the configuration. Don't be impatient.

This always works for me, and I have a similiar hardware setup to you. And one other thing, this normally affects FSX on start-up, as a known issue, but it might just be different for you, find your logbook in C:\Users\<accountname>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\logbook.bin, rename it, and try FSX again. The known problem with this is that the logbook can and does become corrupt for various reasons, and hangs FSX. If this does work for you, then there is a logbook editor available for free that can fix a corrupt logbook and save your previous entries. You generally only lose the last entry. Hopefully from this advice you should get all working again.

Default Please Please Please Someone Help Me!

My FSX constantly not responds can someone please help me!

Hey guys i just got a new laptop running windows 7, I have I7 cores 1 gig NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M Graphics card.

The game is in the C drive.

The game i bought also.

right this is what happens i first tried running my game on ULTRA HIGH graphics and then logged in and i got around... 70fps then all of a sudden the game freezes. I Ctrl + Delete and go to task manager and i get a NOT RESPONDING. i lowered my graphics down and then got around 10 minutes time but my FPS was crap like 18... which is not on. I then went online and read something about going into the .exe and going to properties and changing the compatibility and i have mucked around with all of them. I have been able to get around 1 hour + flight times but then all of a sudden i watched a DVD while alt tabbed out and my FPS went to the ground i lagged and then i not respond while sitting at the gate.

Can someone please help me this is getting so annoying. Please respond back to me

Thanks in advanced
    Last edited by Benny Boi; 5th January 2011 at 05:10 AM.

For those who have issues with FSX quitting, and this is just from my own experience...I have FSX installed on a Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Laptop with 6gb of memory and a 1gb ATI graphics chip. I can honestly say that despite the occasional stutters I get from running FSX on ultra high (or maxed out) settings, I only get a crash after a flight and when I return to the main menu, and this is usually with running a Wilco product, but as of late even that is once in a blue moon.

I recently reinstalled my system (due to issues with other non-FSX related software) and when it came to reinstalling FSX and all my aircraft, I left everything alone meaning that I installed everything and didn't mod anything by way of adjusting the core cfg files or adding tweaks.

My recommendation is to do a few things:

Uninstall and reinstall FSX and if you are using Windows 7, turn down the user account control slider to the bottom. yeah, I know it's NOT recommended but the way I see it, if it's your computer and no one else uses it and you have antivirus and firewall protection, then there really isn't any need to leave it where it is by default.

Install FSX and leave everything default to where it is designed to go.

Once the core program is installed, reboot, then start FSX without anything else running (i.e. internet, email, movies, music, etc). It is important to troubleshoot the issue with a clean session. When running FSX, go to your settings section and click on the restore defaults button and then open a free flight, pick an aircraft, an airport, a time and season and default the weather to clear skies. Run your sim and see how it runs. While flying, hit shift+z twice and see what your framerates are. This is a good baseline test. Run the sim as long as you can (hopefully it will run as long as you want it too by this point).

If nothing crashes on you, then go forward with installing any extra FSX related programs and add-ons but one at a time to see where that crashing problem may be coming from.

This is the best known way I can offer to troubleshoot your issues...others may think differently on this, but when I have had any issues in the past with software, this is usually where I start. I know it's a pain to uninstall and reinstall but it may help.

Jim