Thread: Can FSX be run at maximum

Default Can FSX be run at maximum

I was told recently that no computer exists that can run FSX at maximum. Meaning with all sliders at full-right, every checks checked and antialiasing, as well as 100% on ALL traffic.
    Add to that a couple of scenery enhancers and perhaps Traffic 2010.
    So, are there any computers that can be build that will perform with those parameters and never go lower than 26fps?
    If you have one what are your specs?
    Opinions?

Biskit
    "Volo Sim Ergo Sum"

Hi Biskit,

What a question! That is the kind I really love!

Right now, I don't have any trouble maintaining 20 FPS over KORD with all sliders maxed except:

In Scenery:
    Mesh Resolution at 19m
    Texture Resolution at 1m

At this point in time, there is no reason to move them farther right. I'm not aware of any scenery available in those resolutions, so why do it? I have toyed with them though, and it sure takes it's toll on my system. When such scenery is available, I will have to upgrade.

In Traffic:
    Both Air Traffic sliders need to be at 20% or less.
    Road Traffic set to 50%
    All others maxed

Boats and Ships don't seem to drain perfomance as much as the others do. I have an idea why, I just don't quite know how to put it into words.

Maximum Airport Traffic is a must for me. I get a kick out of those wreckless airport drivers!

The only computer component that is not an original part of this 3 1/2 year old system is the CPU. It's an AMD 6400+ overclocked to 3.4 GHz

It does well, but, as you can see, there is a lot of room for improvement.

I feel the hardware needed to make such performance a reality is likely to hit the market soon, if it's not already there. I think it will take a pretty fat wallet and a fly swatter to kill a few bugs if you wanted that kind of performance right now though. Give it a year or two, and I think it will become quite common.

I have noticed there are surges, "catch up" periods, and lulls in the rate of advancement in pretty much everything from the wheel, to the computer. Unfortunately, they don't seem to occur in any particular order, and they rarely mesh. Add to the mix, the hardware and software sectors (after all, they really are independent sectors) and you might see how any attempt at dependency on one another is just plain risky, to say the least. But things WILL mesh again.

It feel the Aces team and Flight Simulator X were victims of this lack of stability. Not poor development practices, not a monopolistic conspiracy, not shady dealings, just plain old boring statistics.

At first many of us were p*ssed because we felt Microsoft ripped us off... now the we b*tch that developers are still doing it... I wonder how many of us are doing the same to them.

Though I miss the team... and the studio is gone... I am more excited about FSX than I have ever been. I still have full rights to my copies of FSX and Acceleration... I know how to learn from the SDK... if it ain't here yet, the hardware is gonna catch up soon... Hell fire! I'm getting ready kick the tires, light the fires, and put my sim into afterburner... just like I did with FS 2004. Nope, it'll be a long time before I declare FSX dead... and that won't be until after I conclude an independent autopsy!

My answer to your question is a big, fat, resounding... YES! but it ain't gonna happen on this one.

I'm terribly sorry for being so damn long winded here lately, but I can't seem to help myself. Something seems to have rekindled my passion for the sim.

I don't like to make accusations, but I think it had a little bit to do with you Biskit.

Thank you, buddy!

See ya, Am. Milt
    Last edited by BenReclused; 11th March 2010 at 10:40 AM.
    If it ain't broke..., fix it any damn way!!!

my machine do it with ultimate terrain installed.
    Intel core i7
    ati 4890
    both a bit oc.

I do like 30 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by nugga View Post
    my machine do it with ultimate terrain installed.
    Intel core i7
    ati 4890
    both a bit oc.

I do like 30 fps.
    Do you have any add-on planes?
    Are all the sliders in the traffic page at 100% as well?
    Do you have anisotropic AND antialiasing turned on?
    Which i7 do you have on there? 975?
    What size monitor do you have?
    Do you do 30 fps in JFK or in the middle of the ocean?
    Do you have any sliders at all that are not at full right?
    I am trying to narrow it down as some people version of 100% is different than others.
    Thanks

Biskit
    "Volo Sim Ergo Sum"

I have all sliders to the right, AA and DX10 on. I get an average of 35-40 fps.

Intel i7 920
    MSI X58 Pro E gaming Chipset/mobo
    6 gigs Corsair RAM
    9800GT GPU
    32" 1080p LED HDTV (okay...I mentioned that one just to brag! )

I think that 4 years ago, no...there was no system that could run it at full settings (without selling a lung anyways). However, I think the hardware technology has finally caught up with the software. When I built my system, I wasn't expecting to get full settings, but much to my surprise (and enjoyment), my system does just fine at full settings.
    Last edited by One Sick Puppy; 12th March 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Hi One Sick Puppy,

I didn't have FSX 4 years ago, and I preordered. I had this system ready for FSX, and it's not quite 3 1/2 years old. The old 5200+ was overclocked to 3.1GHz, and I didn't quite have the performance I have now, but I could run at max, out in the boonies with a little altitude, but it sure got choppy coming into a high detal city!

The not running FSX at max thing was a known back then. Even if you hocked a lung!

See ya, Am. Milt
    Last edited by BenReclused; 13th March 2010 at 02:58 AM.
    If it ain't broke..., fix it any damn way!!!

Default I do

I can run it at max. I get good FPS (not sure how much though), except occasionally, like, once every 5-10 mins, it'll have one little jolty lag which is ONLY noticable due to the fact i have the volume loud and you can hear it.

Probably doesnt help to know but meh:

I use MSI exlipse motherboard
    3Gb of DDR3 RAM
    2 GTX 285's
    intel i7 @ 3.8Ghz

Though take note: i tend to put the traffic down to medium high, and same with weather. I was told it gets me better FPS (though i suck at noticing difference in FPS).

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusionment View Post
    I can run it at max. I get good FPS (not sure how much though),
    To see your fps click "SHIFT Z" twice and it will show at the top left corner of your screen.

Biskit
    "Volo Sim Ergo Sum"