Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel Core i7 920

Default Intel Core i7 920

Hey guys!
    I'm looking to upgrade my computer to get a better ride in FSX. I'm no tech, but I've done some research, and I'd like to use the same computer I have and just upgrade it with some new goodies, and looking for guidance and suggestions on how to go about everything. I'm looking at the Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz, Nvidia GTX260 or 285, a higher power supply. I know I'm missing some other key things, so I'd like some suggestions, and sorry if this is a repost... Here is my current system.

Windows Vista Home Premium
    AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core Processor
    4.00 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

All suggestions welcome.

Hi

No chance of adding a Core i7 to what you already have - the Core i7-920 is only compatible with an X58 motherboard and DDR3 of which you will need 3x2GB sticks.

An Nvidia GTX260 is fine, as is the GTX275. The GTX285 is expensive and you will not see any benefit with it over a GTX275.

I would also recommend a move to Windows 7 64bit if you can, especially if you go with the i7-920/X58/6GB DDR3.

Setting up FSX and how to tune it right for XP/Vista & Windows7

FSX budget rig: i5-2300 @ 2.8GHz, P67, 2x2GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX250, 500W psu, W7 64bit
    FSX high-end rig: i7-2600K o'cd @ 4.2GHz+, Noctua hsf, P67, 2x4GB DDR3
    C8@1866MHz, Nvidia GTX570 or ATi 6xxx, 750W psu, W7 64bit
    FSX don't do: Install in default folder (use C:/FSX or better yet D:/FSX); use ATi 4xxx or older gpu's; SLI/CrossFire; RAID

Hi bostonpilot,

Sharrow is right about the Intel processor, but that dosen't mean you can't upgrade to a better AMD processor. I recently built a new system for a friend using a Gigabyte motherboard with a AM3 socket and a 965 Phenom II quad core. It was more than suitable for FSX, even with all scenery sliders maxed. You would still need to be somewhat conservative with aircraft traffic settings, but put the other traffic settings to max and forget about it. The good news is that a number of the quality AM2 and AM2+ motherboards will run the AM3 Phenom IIs pretty well, though the BIOS might need to be updated.

If you can tell me what motherboard, or computer, you are currently using, I would be glad to do a little research to determine what might be a good processor upgrade.

FSX is very CPU dependent, so this would be the best, single, improvement you could make.

See ya, Milt
    If it ain't broke..., fix it any damn way!!!

I upgraded to the i7 920. What they are saying about replacing the motherboard is right. I paid around 230 for the X58 Pro-E gaming mobo, and then spend around 120 for 6 gigs of ram. I feel like a INtel spokesperson here, but I am telling you....If you want impressive FSX gameplay, go with this set up!! I built my system a couple of weeks ago, and I am still amazed at how fast it runs FSX! All sliders set to max and AA and DX10 are also on. I expected an improvement, but not near as much as I got....and I haven't overclocked the GPU or CPU yet.

If you need any help building it, or any adivse, just give me a shout. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Oh...and I wouldn't suggest dropping a huge amount of money on a beefy graphics card, unless you play alot of other games too. FSX doesn't need GPU grunt as much as CPU.

With this current setup, I'd rather upgrade and add hardware then to buy a whole new system. Any more info needed to give advice?

Windows Vista Home Premium
    AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core Processor
    4.00 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

I agree with One Sick Puppy

I just built a Core i7 920 and maxed out all the settings. I love it.

Only thing that was a disappointment with FSX on my new HD5870 Radeon card was that Windows 7 converts game play to Win 7 basic for visuals so the eye candy wasn't an awesome WOW that I expected.

Hi bostonpilot,

The processor you have now is an AM2+ unit. That means any of the AM2+ processors will work. This is includes the AM2+ quad cores. But... many of the AM2+ motherboards, from Asus, Gigabyte and MSI will run the AM3 CPUs perfectly well with a proper BIOS update. That would be the route to go it your motherboard will in fact support it. See if you can find the brand and model number of the board itself. Let me know and I will check for you.

See ya, Milt

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dragon Bubba View Post
    I just built a Core i7 920 and maxed out all the settings. I love it.

Only thing that was a disappointment with FSX on my new HD5870 Radeon card was that Windows 7 converts game play to Win 7 basic for visuals so the eye candy wasn't an awesome WOW that I expected.
    Could you elaborate on the Win 7 convert part, please. I also run an i7 920 OC to 3.4 and a 5870. Have not noticed anything adrift with the visuals, but have only a very old, substandard PC to compare with.

I think he means when he first starts FSX, he gets a message from windows that says something like, due to incompatability, windows is switching to basic color scheme....or that's the message I have always gotten anyways. From what I have read, it's completely normal.

Hi bostonpilot,

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you.

You have a Foxconn (I forgot the model number though) AM2+ motherboard in that Gateway system. From what I read, it's a fairly light duty board.

An AM2+ Phenom II quad core would work fine in your system, but I don't think I would move beyond a 95W unit, so it appears you are going to be limited to a 400MHz increase in core speed. You won't gain a lot of performance, but I'm sure you will notice the difference.

Let us know what you think.

See ya, Am. Milt