Thread: Running Out of Memory in FS9

Default Running Out of Memory in FS9

Can anyone help please? Despite moving my Page File which is set to 4092Mb to another hard drive partition on the same 500Gb hard drive,I notice that in Task Manager Virtual memory size,FS9 is running at nearing 1.9Gb,which is ridiculous,as I have 3Gb on an XP Pro SP3 system running 2 GPUs each at 256Mb,and as expected,FS9 crashes with 'out of memory' error message.This is driving me nuts as it kills a flight just after T/O,and I have to start all over again.

Hard drives are regularly defragged,so I know that is not an issue,and there is nothing else running in the background,other than the very essential servic and the antivirus+firewall app.

Any suggestions,please?
    RICK

Have you made any changes to the fs9.cfg for Bandwidth or Max_texture ? Are you using any add on scenery, as fs9 on two GPU's (If i am correct it's on a SLI Interface) should not be a problem at all.

I am running fs9 on an ATI HD 3450 512Mb AGP (low end card) with 2 GB RAM , AMD Sempron 3300+ CPU @ 2.0 Ghz without any issues, i have everything on the card at max.

Try switching off the anti-virus file checker.
    Last edited by Swordfish; 14th April 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vc10man View Post
    Can anyone help please? Despite moving my Page File which is set to 4092Mb to another hard drive partition on the same 500Gb hard drive,I notice that in Task Manager Virtual memory size,FS9 is running at nearing 1.9Gb,which is ridiculous,as I have 3Gb on an XP Pro SP3 system running 2 GPUs each at 256Mb,and as expected,FS9 crashes with 'out of memory' error message.This is driving me nuts as it kills a flight just after T/O,and I have to start all over again.

Hard drives are regularly defragged,so I know that is not an issue,and there is nothing else running in the background,other than the very essential servic and the antivirus+firewall app.

Any suggestions,please?
    RICK
    Hi vc10man

You sound like you have a classic, in our industry speak, memory leak. What does this mean, as briefly as I can explain it to you in layman's terms, all operating systems and apps run in very tightly controlled memory spaces, what we refer to as protected memory allocation. So as an example, if an app needs 300MB of memory, then via the O/S and memory controller it is given this, and the memory is then locked to this app while in use, so that no other app, or problem can upset the applecart. In the case of some file damage to critical files needed for an app, in your problem FS9, the O/S and memory managers cannot contain the app, and it "leaks" out of it's locked contained memory space, and causes crashes, as you are experiencing them.

This can be a problem with most computer software, I do not know of a tool or monitoring program, that can see if a file is damaged internally, and your defragging although good, cannot detect this either. So you are placing a damaged file in a tidy location, but externally it is not indicating that there is anything wrong with it. The give away is the size of your swap file, the 1.9Gb part you indicated. What could also be causing this is an add-on that you may have recently installed to FS9, and this add-on is either damaged, or badly written, in itself causing a memory leak.

So my advice to fix, although drastic sounding, is uninstall FS9 and any add-on's completely, then do a drive clean-up with tools like "CleanUp!", "CCleaner" etc, and purge all of your "temp" folders with anything left there, "C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Temp" and "C:\WINDOWS\Temp". You might need to change your folder view settings to see the folders I have indicated, and some files there could be locked so refuse to delete (OK most of the time as these are used by antivirus programs, but could also indicate malware existing on your computer). Finally a defrag. Do the necessary reboot after the above, then re-install FS9. Check it with native settings and no add-ons installed to see if it is behaving, and that it's use of the swap file is within reason. If all good, then one by one install your add-ons if any, and after each one start FS9 to see if all is still good.

Long explanation, hope it helps you. (I think it should). If not then start to suspect malware, even though you might have active protection (sometimes giving one a false sense of security). It's recently happened to me, forgot a flash drive in my system that was infected from a customer of mine, I rebooted, and the trojans were able to get onto my system just before my protection was active in memory to guard against this. Destroyed my FSX, you can read elsewhere on this forum about it, two separate posts. Good Luck, let us know of your status.

Regards
    Last edited by screwbottle; 21st April 2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: updating