Thread: FSX keeps freezing

Unhappy FSX keeps freezing

Hi all,

Just got FSX Gold (Deluxe and Acceleration) but haven't actually been able to play it, been trying to make it work since lunchtime and still no joy.

After spending a while finding the short cut (eventually found in the games folder) I get into the game but once I select a mission or flight or anything, as soon as I get to the tutorial screen it freezes. Sometimes it just loads a light blue screen, other times it's when it tells me how to change views or when I press a button.

I've tried all various graphic options (starting on ultra high like a muppet) and different ones suggested on this forum still with no joy.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions as I really want to play the game but after 4hours of mucking about I'm beginning to loose the plot.

Here are my system specs:
    PSU : Corsiar 1000w
    MoBo : Asus P5Q Premium
    CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz
    Cooler : Asus Silent Square Evo
    Ram : 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC2-8500 with Fan
    GPU: Sapphire HD4870
    HDD : Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
    Monitor : Samsung A656 32" LCD (res 1920x1080p)

Any help would be appreciated

Nodz;

I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations with FSX. You have a most capable setup to run the simulation! My first impression was a heat problem, the HD4800 series of cards are known for a heat related fault, it seems the fans do not speed up has the GPU gets hotter! I seem to recall seeing something about Sapphire having solved the problem by letting the user manually control the fan speed? So I am now thinking... if this proves to be true with your card and the heat is not a factor, the next step would be drivers. I cannot say with certainty that ATI's drivers are as fickle as NVidia's but can tell you that with most, you have to be certain that the driver supports the card etc. For example, my GeForce 9600 AMP will not digest NVidia's latest driver (It's a beta release)! It simply won't work! That being said, there are other things to try. Do you have all the updates for Vista? Are you installing the full package FSX and Acceleration? Try installing FSX only, download SP1 and SP2 from Micro$oft and install them... try running the Sim and see if you have the same problem. If you do, then I would be inclined to look closely at Vista (have you installed SP2?) and again at the GPU for heat related problems... take the cover off your case, see if that helps (put a small fan directed at the Motherboard). When installing FSX, reboot after each step! Install---> reboot, SP1 install---> reboot, SP2 install---> reboot! Install it to the default directory, C:\programs files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X. This is where you will find fsx.exe, right click it and create a shortcut on the desktop! Once you have done this, on your desktop, right click the shortcut and select "properties" then "compatibility" and put a check mark next to "disable desktop composition" and again on "disable visual themes" the latter may only apply to Windows 7. Reboot! Let me know what happens. As soon as I installed Acceleration I immediately noticed glitches in the programs, so it is worth a try!

Steven.

Do NOT install SP2 and then Acceleration! If you install Acceleration with SP2 you WILL have issues. Only install 1 or the other. Microsoft even says not to install both.

Hi guys,

Esh535920 is correct with: "Do NOT install SP2 and then Acceleration! If you install Acceleration with SP2 you WILL have issues. Only install 1 or the other. Microsoft even says not to install both." It's been a long time since I installed Acceleration, and I did install it over SP1 without any issues at all, but I wonder if SP 1 is even required to install newer versions of "Acceleration". One would think not, if both FSX and Acceleration are packaged together, as in the case of FSX Gold Edition. Does anyone know for sure?

I agree with Steven about your system being more than capable of running FSX, and, also like Steven, my first thought was heat, even though it doesn't sound like you ran the sim long enough for heat to be an issue. Do you know how to monitor your processor and video card temps? If not, try CPUID Hardware Monitor. Here is the link: http://www.cpuid.com/ Make sure you get the 64 bit version.

If you are going to reinstall, give FSX a try right after installation and before installing Acceleration or any service packs. Instead of trying a "tutorial", just load the default "Free Flight" to see if that works.

Don't let it frustrate you! I'm sure it's something easily fixed, once we figure it out. Please post your temps and let us know how you make out.

See ya, Milt

One VERY important aspect to all this is NOT to install FSX in the default location, especially when using Vista. It is highly recommended to install FSX either on its own dedicated hard drive OR to create a folder at the root of your C drive simply called "FSX" (without the quotes) and install FSX there. This will avoid Vista UAC which causes major hassles with FSX.

As mentioned your system is more than adequate for FSX but please be aware that FSX is incredibly taxing on a system and you should NOT expect to run all your sliders at max.

If you do re-install (which I highly recommend as outlined above) then PLEASE check out this FSX guide written by Nick Needham. If you need to register to view it then please do so, you will not regret it for a second.

Please shout if you have any further questions.

Hi all, thanks for all the replies.. I've read through all the advice you have all gave and found it to be a help. I wont be doing anything until the weekend when I'm not at work and have some time to muck about with it.

Just to answer a few questions.. I've got all the updates for vista and all the SP's and have got the latest driver version of my GPU drivers aswell.

Where is the best place to install as some say the default location whilst others are more towards a custom location or is this more a personal preference??

When I was booting FSX, Vista automatically disabled the themes so do I still need to change it in the properties menu??

This time I will reboot after every step aswell another thing I never done on the initial install at the weekend.

Thanks again for all your help I'll let you know how I get on with it

Quote Originally Posted by Nodz View Post
    Where is the best place to install as some say the default location whilst others are more towards a custom location or is this more a personal preference??
    This is nothing to do with personal preference - this is advice which comes from some of the most experienced flight simmers on the planet. DO NOT INSTALL FSX IN THE DEFAULT LOCATION.

Create a folder called FSX at the root of your C drive and install in there following the method as laid out in great detail in Nick's guide. If you can get a second HDD just for FSX that would be ideal.

For the record Acceleration contains both SP1 and SP2. FSX + Acceleration is all you need. Nothing more.
    Last edited by Sharrow; 27th October 2009 at 02:18 AM.

Default FSX keeps freezing

Hey I bought FSX and have been playing it for about 2 weeks now, but I have not been able to get my mic to work. MY computer recognizes the mic and I can record and talk on it. As soon as I get on FSX it doesnt work, I know about hitting Caps Lock to talk and my aircraft has been on the right frequency as every one else I could hear every one else...but could not respond.

any ideas?