Thread: Newbie needs help (PMDG 737)

Unhappy Newbie needs help (PMDG 737)

Hello!

Ive been flying on fs2004 for a few years now using the default aircraft and a couple of POSKY downloads, and I decided it was time to try something new! So I went ahead and purchased the PMDG 737 NG. First of all i'd like to say that this is an awesome aircraft! The detail is absolutely fantastic! The only problem is ... i cant fly it not very well anyway!

Ive been trying to complete a succesful flight for a couple of weeks now with no luck. I've been tryin to get my head round the FMC, and I believe I understand the way it works. Ive read all the tutorials I could find on the net and followed them very closely. I then tried to complete a flight from Coventry EGBE to Aldergrove EGAA. I entered everything into the FMC, but I could not get rid of the discontinuities in the route! When you're on the via - to screen, what information is it asking for? Ive tried using my jetway number, VOR numbers and it just keeps saying 'not in database' which means the disconuity still exists! I updated the AIRAC files not long ago so I wouldn't have thought that would be the problem! Its such a shame though because I love this plane and I really want to be able to fly it!

The other problem I had was that every time I try to arm the autothrottle it wont let me and a red warning light starts flashing on the main panel! Any ideas?

Finally, whilst I try to learn how to fly with the FMC I was wondering if its possible to fly the PMDG model without using the FMC, as I've been flying the default 737?

Sorry if these are silly questions, i'd just really like to get them sorted as i'll be upgrading to FSX when I finish my new computer, and i've got my eyes on the Captain Sim 757, but i've got no chance until I can use an FMC!

Thank you in advance for your help peeps!

Chris

Hi there Chris,the PMDG 737 is awesome plane indeed,and quite a learning curve as you know by now anyway Anyhow,let me try and see if i can solve some of the issues for you.1) with the route discontinuity,just simply click on the LSK(the keys on the left of the display screen) on the line just below the route discontinuity to copy your next waypoint on the scratchpad.And once on the scratchpad,will normally display on the screen on the bottom of the FMC,then click on the LSK where it says "THEN",then hopefully that will solve the problem.So simply said,when you have a route discontinuity,just insert the waypoint after the "ROUTE DISCONTINUITY"
    into the "THEN" section.
    2)Not sure why you have problem activating the A/T,just a thought,do you load the PMDG 737 from the default cessna or from a different plane?Cause that will make a difference.
    3)There is no problem flying the plane with autopilot set,but its just so much realistic if you can experience the real workings of this great add-on

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I load my flight using the default 737, then change aircraft to PMDG 737.

I'm gonna give it another go tomorow! I'm not gonna give up! I really want to fly this plane properly so I can start flying some of the other brilliant payware planes out there!

Thanks again,

Chris

Hi there,your welcome Chris Oh yeah that might be one of the problems,loading from a default B737,just a small tip regarding to most complex designed aircraft,always load from a default cessna 172,i noticed in some readme documents supplied with the payware products,thats some of the recommendations.Its just a way to load the systems much easier without any hassles,but yeah,give it a try and let us know Thanks!

Hey.

I used to fly with the PMDG 737 and I got the hang of the FMC. I had problems with the A/T as well as you but I forgot what the solution was. Unfortunately. I think it was something like a switch on the over-head panel which stops the A/T dis-engaging when you want it engaged. I just looked at the over-head panel and brought back some of my memory. If thed fuel pumps and the APU Gen is on they should be off. I think that's what solved the problem. But I may be wrong. Try fiddling around with the cross feed switch as well. Maan I wish I could remember. Also, I tried using the PMDG 737 with another panel so I wouldn't have to use the FMC for a flight plan. It works but when you land the auto-brakes wont work and when you manual brake it isn't strong enough. So it isn't a good idea. Lol :P

OK. Cheers for the help guys. I'll be trying all the advice out one night this week hopefully!

Also, does anyone know if theres any further news on the 737NG for FSX from PMDG? Their website hasn't updated on this in a long time, and i'd really like this add-on when I get FSX.

Cheers

Talking

Hi again guys!

I just wanted to say thanks for the help!

This week i've made a couple of flights using the PMDG 737, on the FMC! And they were successful! It feels fantastic to have finally cracked it!

I'm still having a couple of problems with finding the correct SIDS/STARS on the FMC, but i'm just gonna persevere and continue on the learning curve!

By the way, to get the autothrottle to work I had to toggle the two GEN switches on the overhead to off.

Thanks again

Chris

If you do have access to documents containing sids and stars for the airports your flying to,make use of it,as it will give you an idea of what the procedure is,as a student pilot and all pilots in this case receive a copy of NOTAMS from the Civil aviation authority,and sometimes they do hand out new SID & STAR for some major airports in South Africa,such as Johannesburg(FAJS) and from that you can easily choose the right one for your flight.But this doesnt mean you have to be a real pilot to obtain them,on some virtual airline sites,you can get sim airport data cards and sids and stars in them,so have a browse and see.Good luck and congrats on cracking the PMDG,feels good at the end doesn't it hahaha