Thread: Addon Aircraft Textures not visible in fsx:accel

Default Addon Aircraft Textures not visible in fsx:accel

Hi,
    I have done a fresh install of fsx followed by sp1 and finally fsx:accel. Every works fine with the default aircraft. I downloaded some new aircrafts from flightsim website. No matter which addon aircraft i load there are no textures/liveries on it. It is plain white. If i select any of the default aircraft of fsx this problem doesnt crop up. The problem is only with the addon aircrafts.
    Next I went into the Simobjects/aircraft directory where all the airplanes are stored. In the textures directory of each addon aircraft the textures are in BMP format. But the textures for the default aircraft are not in BMP format (DDS if i am not mistaken). I guess fsx:accel does this to all the aircraft that already exist. Never had problems earlier when I used these addons with just fsx. In order to smoothly install fsx:accel i uninstalled fsx and all addons and then re-installed step-by-step. So i think I need some kinda conversion tool to convert these textures to the new format. Any help to solve this issue would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Raks

It is a SP2 issue that was included with acceleration. Read phils weblog, there are links on other sites.

SP2 made changes to how textures on aircraft are handled. What you're seeing is aircraft previously designed for FS9 which aren't 100% FSX compatible.
    Paul
    -----------------------------------
    TS4M
    --- Serving Others with our Sklls ---

Quote Originally Posted by pevans_om View Post
    SP2 made changes to how textures on aircraft are handled. What you're seeing is aircraft previously designed for FS9 which aren't 100% FSX compatible.
    Thank you Paul, at least you don't blame SP2 or DX10!!!

It is not true that SP2/DX10 broke many add-ons; what is true is that those add-ons were not made with the latest SDK Service Pack, or it might be a mix of FSX/FS9 SDK. FS9 scenery in FSX is out, it is like putting a Briggs & Stratton in a C172.

About the negative stuff you hear. Designers of note are keeping up to date with what has been going on in the ACES camp, they know about most of the developments. To save them from designing under par add-ons (and red faces), they held back on their work. Some smaller payware/freeware developers took the gap, offered to them by RTM's (and in a way SP1's) 'backward compatibility and produced add-on aircraft and scenery. Most of this stuff was modified FS9 SDK type of add-ons and although you could see and use it in FSX, it did more harm than good. However, SP2 removed most of the 'backward compatibility' and many of these add-ons are now broken.

One can only achieve 'backward compatibility by keeping old redundant code in an application. There are still some FS4 code in FS2004, code which is more than 14 years old!! ACES have to move forward and in order to do that, they must remove the old code. If you remove old code, you remove 'backward compatibility and that is what most people see. Suddenly, Their costly payware add-ons becomes useless and it bombs the game out. They now place the blame on FSX, instead of placing it directly on the designers that are giving/selling you rubbish.

Remember what Phil Taylor, from ACES, is trying to warn us about:

"FSX-SDK content will work, content using old SDK features will not."

SP2 SDK update has only been out about three weeks, give the designers some time, they will bring out FSX add-ons. And obtain a written guarantee from the designer where they state that the add-on were made using the latest SP2 SDK content.

Thanks mjrhealth, pevans_om and jsvw for your inputs.
    For now the workaround I have used is unchecking the "Preview DX10 content" in the graphics settings dialog. Once done, it displayed textures on any airplane I loaded. And there isnt much I miss as far as DX10 is concerned.
    Cheers,
    Raks

I had the same problem too, addons showing up a white, and when loaded at an airport, nothing but white screens. After some srewing around, I disabled "advanced light bloom" or whatever it's called, and they all (about 15) work perfect now. Try it out.

And how do I get the "preview DirectX" option, I have an 8800GTX and winXP, but don't have that option..is it Vista only?

DirectX 10 preview is available on Vista only.
    Paul
    -----------------------------------
    TS4M
    --- Serving Others with our Sklls ---

Quote Originally Posted by pevans_om View Post
    DirectX 10 preview is available on Vista only.
    ...and you have to have installed SP2.

I found the same issue. I am running vista and fsx with the dx10 preview on and the textures are missing. If I turn off the dx10 preview the textures are present. I have sp2 loaded and this is what I found fixed the issue for me.