Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is N1???

Hybrid View

Default What is N1???

Hi all,

Can somebody help me out please?
    On the cockpit panel of the default 737-800 in FSX, there is a little button called...."N1". What exactly is this for and when would you need to use it? I've taken off and landed may times in the 737 using "Speed Hold" and "Auto-Pilot" but never really used this N1 button.

Thanks.

It's part of the auto pilot settings.
    I use it to set my climb power setting or cruise power setting if I want to set power instead of speed, generally 95% for initial climb and around 55% for cruise.

Sorry, but I'm still none the wiser. Can you give me an example of your auto-pilot settings just before you take off when using "N1"? When do you release the N1 button or do you keep it on?

What I'm trying to say is, I've been taking off and landing using auto-pilot in the default 737 in FSX for ages now without any problems and without ever using the "N1" button. So what exactly does it do?

Also, what do you mean when you say that you use the "N1" button to set your "Climb Power" and "Cruise Power"? I just set the the required speed then click the "Speed Hold" button.

Thanks.

N1 is very simple if explained correctaly, I will try my best.
    In Lamins terms, N1 is a guage of how much power the engines are puting out. When the throttle is at idle, it is at about 35%. When full thrust is added it can go above 100%. the percentage depends at where the throttle is at. For example, when the throttle is at about half power the N1 gauge should read about 50 or 60%. Hope that helped.

N1 almost like the measurement, in percentage, of your throttle. So full throttle is '100% N1' and half throttle is '50% N1'. You can see by the N1 guages.
    Basically, I will set the N1 in auto pilot to 90%-95% for the climb (I turn it on just after rotating) and 55% for the cruise (when I'm at Flight Level and cruising). I use it as I would the 'Speed' button in Auto Pilot - I'm not sure if this is proper procedure, but thats what I do.
    I would imagine it's purely an altenative to the 'Speed' button in Auto Pilot when fuel is a big factor. ie: when setting a cruise speed may require too much throttle to maintain.

So it basically controls your autothrottle setting as the 'speed' button does.
    Hope this makes sense - I'm a little confused myself now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mw-glenn; 19th June 2007 at 09:14 PM.

This is from FSX Learning Centre.

Power in a turbine jet aircraft is not measured in flat rpm (revolutions per minute) as with a piston powered aircraft. Power in a turbine engine is measured in percent of maximum rpm, where maximum rpm is the certified or rated power output of the engine. There are two points of measure important to the Boeing 737

mw-glen, Thanks for those replies. I didn't realise there was a section on this in the learning centre of FSX. I shall have to try this out now.

Thanks again.

Just out of interest, your takeoff power (N1) will change according to weight and altitude. So normally before a flight the pilot will use his charts to determine the correct N1 setting for takeoff with his current weight and the altitude of the airport.

They also take into account the economy of the flight and length of the runway. So if the runway is long enough and they want to save some fuel they'll use a lower N1 setting for takeoff and it'll take longer to get of the ground.

I had to learn all this for my PMDG 737 with FS2Crew

Quote Originally Posted by pevans_om View Post

I had to learn all this for my PMDG 737 with FS2Crew

Off topic I know, but is your PMDG 737 with FS9 or FSX?

Thanks.

Must be FS9, I've only found FS2Crew for the default 747 in FSX (but I may be wrong). I've done the lessons in the learning centre and they help a huge amount! Enjoy and good luck!