Thread: Established on Localizer

Question Established on Localizer

Can anyone tell me how you know when you are established on the localizer and can decent below your assigned altitue. I know ATC usually gives you clearance to land when you are, but is there anyother why to know?

you're established when the ILS markers light up and start moving.
    -- CopDoctor --
    ------------------------------

http://www.xfire.com/profile/copdoctor/

the "O, M, and I" lights just if you didnt know that

Quote Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
    you're established when the ILS markers light up and start moving.
    my first ever flight-sim was A320 AIRBUS on the Atari ST. In that you had to plot your route using various beacons. Then you had to look-up all the radio-frequencies for these in a table, and plug those into your radio in turn to get the headings.

Finally you had to look up the frequency of the ILS for the airport you were landing at then plug that into the radio as you approached.

Sometimes i really miss such micro-management.

Is the ILS in FSX automatically tuned-in for you, or do you have to do this manually?

Is there a way of micromanaging the beacon frewuencies for the auto pilot as in the above example? And where would I find their frequncies if there is?

Once you are on the localiser heading towards the runway, you are established. Maintain your last assigned altitude until your capture the glideslope, if you were cleared for the ILS approach then continue descending on the glideslope (Fully established on the ILS).

You have to manually enter the navigational frequencies. You can find it using the Options > Map. Alternatively, use FS Navigator, FS Commander or something similar to find the correct frequencies.

You know you are lined up if your nav Course it set to the runway heading, VOR1 and sometimes VOR2 set to the ILS frequency. Set the autopilot altitude to the ATC's instructions.

Once you crosses the runway's heading on NAV or HDG and APP enabled, the aircraft will automatically turn onto the runway and start flying towards it. That is what I believe is "captured the localizer".

At a certain distance from the runway your aircraft will capture the glide slope and start descending.

At this stage all you need to do is keep the correct speed, extend the flaps and gear at the correct intervals. Also set the auto brake if available as well as the spoiler's auto deploy.

At about 500ft AGL you may disable the Autopilot and land your plane. Remember to turn off the Auto Throttle or Speed Hold.

Under IMS conditions and with the correct aircraft and airport, the aircraft will fully land itself.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Cheers
    Jaco Smit

Please don't call my hobby a game.

http://jacosmit.blogspot.com
    ---------------------------------------------------